So. . . Chris has had a rough week. He got a cold a week ago. I figured, I'm a doctor, it's a cold, and I can handle it at home. Then this Tuesday night, his breathing got a lot worse. I heard Chris making noise on the monitor, and when I picked him up, he was breathing really fast. It was as if he was panting. I checked his respiratory rate, and it was 100 breaths per minute. That's really, really fast. A kid his age should breathe 50 times per minute or less. So, we took him into the ER, where he got breathing treatments. He was much better after the nebs, but was still breathing hard, so he was admitted. We spent yesterday in the hospital, and came home today. He is now doing just fine. There was no pneumonia- just bronchiolitis. Now he has home oxygen at night until he's completely better, but he doesn't need it during the day. We also now have a nebulizer machine.
Poor little man! Glad he's recovering. And I love his little spiderman. Very cool!!
ReplyDeletethe spiderman was a gift from the hospital volunteers!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness, poor little guy! Glad you guys are home now!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad he is feeling better and that you guys are home. Eric had a few bouts with bronchiolitis as well when he was a baby, but nothing that necessitated anything like what Chris has gone through. Poor kiddo :( We know the nebulizers quite well. Eric now sometimes has asthma issues when he gets a cold, but it wasn't diagnosed from bronchialitis to asthma until after he turned 2. I hope Chris doesn't end up with the same issues, although I wonder how much is hereditary? We'll miss you this weekend, but I would be doing exactly the same thing if I were in your shoes. Take care!
ReplyDeleteJen- I'm sad I don't get to see my nephews. I'm also bummed about missing Carrie's bachelorette weekend. However, Chris is sick and he needs me. And I am also still getting over this nasty cold. So, it will be a weekend at home.
ReplyDelete