One of the cool things that I got to see while down there on the last trip was the launch of an Atlas V (my other rocket) late Sunday night. The launch was for a commercial communications satellite called Intelsat 14 (not related to the chip company). We were able to get pretty close to the launch since my CCAFS badge is good for the entire base.
Here is a picture of the rocket on the pad the night before the launch. The high intensity spotlights really light up the rocket to a dazzling display that can be seen crystal clear for miles. You can tell how humid it is since the beams are illuminated. They usually go the extra mile making the commercial missions look good.

The next night we drove back on base about a half hour before the T-Zero time and setup shop on the causeway between CCAFS and KSC. The count was delayed about an hour due to upper level winds but eventually the count resumed and we were treated to a very cool experience. Here is a picture of the rocket shortly after liftoff taken by the other propulsion guy I was down there with.

And here is a low quality video that I took with my ancient digital camera. The audio doesn't begin to do the roar justice. You can tell we're a few miles away since it takes a little while for the initial sound waves to travel the distance across the water.
Thankfully I'll get to work the Delta IV WGS-3 launch from Denver since I've already traveled to the Cape three times in the last month. The next Delta IV mission will be a NASA weather satellite in March so I'll probably be back there again in February. Our group is actively working to spread out the launch support travel so that the family impacts are minimized as much as possible. This will be especially helpful once Eiko returns to work!

Thanks Doug for another glimpse into your fascinating work.
ReplyDeleteThat pre-launch picture of the Atlas is suitable for a brochure! Is that gold foil covering it? Why?
bob
The mist and the blue flood lights really frame it well. The "gold" look is an anti corrosion coating on the booster tank panels.
ReplyDelete